About the Webinar
This webinar covers theory, as well as the practical aspects of residential rentals. In relation to the lease agreement, the purpose of the Consumer Protection Act 68 of 2002 (CPA) is to protect the consumer (or the tenant) against any unfair marketing and business practices, which may be used by the supplier (or the landlord). Section 14 of the CPA bears the most relevance to lease agreements. Solutions in this regard will be discussed taking into consideration rental collection and alternative dispute resolution. The seminar will focus on all the legal aspects of rental property in general, with emphasis on evictions in terms of the Prevention of Illegal Eviction from and Unlawful Occupation of Land Act 19 of 1998 (PIE).
The program will include:
• essentials of lease agreements;
• termination and cancellation;
• rental payments;
• landlord – tenant disputes; and
• evictions in terms of the PIE Act.
• eviction and the impact of COVID 19.
Who should register?
Any legal practitioner, legal adviser and candidate legal practitioner will benefit from this interactive seminar.
The first half of the seminar will be in a traditional format. Participants will be invited to submit questions for the second half, which will be dealt with in the second session.
Cilna Steyn completed her LLB degree at Unisa, after which she was admitted as an legal practitioner in 2007. She is the Managing Director of SSLR Inc. which she co-founded in 2008, she specialises in rental law and evictions. She regularly presents training sessions, where she advises groups of rental agents and private landlords on matters relating to landlord and tenant disputes and broader scope property law related matters. She also acts on the panel of experts for the Law Society of South Africa’s (LSSA’s) Legal Education and Development (LEAD) division. She presents seminars on behalf of LEAD, educating legal practitioners nationally on eviction procedures and rental claims. She is one of the drafting legal practitioners of the Tenant Profile Network (TPN) Residential Lease Pack. Ms Steyn authored The Landlord’s Guide – Property Rental and Eviction (2015) and regularly publishes articles in newspapers and magazines, she is a regular contributor for the Real Estate Investor Magazine and an author for LexisNexis on the topic of lease and eviction. She also appears on television and radio, participating in discussions relating to property law and evictions.
Webinar date: 24 and 25 June 2020, 10:00 – 12:30 (2 session of 2hr presentation and 30 minutes question time)
Closing date for registrations: 22 June 2020
Cost of the webinar
R990.00 (VAT Inclusive) per participant.
Confirmation of attendance will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Register as soon as possible to secure your space.
How to register
Kindly note that you can only register online and that there are limited places available. Participants should be registered individually to enable the system to generate a unique username and password for each person.
Payment should be made by electronic funds transfer (EFT) only. Remember to upload the proof of payment (PDF) in step 2. LSSA banking details: Account name: Law Society of South Africa | Bank: FNB Pretoria | Branch code: 251445 | Account no: 6200 9641 079 | Reference: Your name, surname and cell number
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.
Once you have successfully registered to participate, you will receive a confirmation email of registration. You will receive a system-generated email with a link (Microsoft Teams) to the webinar at least 24 hours before the webinar starts. Please read the instructions that will be email to you carefully and test your link (Microfsoft Teams) to the webinar page at least 20min before it starts.
Contact LEAD’s Seminars Department
For more information about this seminar, contact the Seminars Department at seminars@LSSALEAD.org.za or on +27 (012) 441 4644 / 4690 / 4913.
Please take note
- The LSSA will not accept liability if fees are not paid into the designated LSSA bank
- Seminar registration will be confirmed only if proof of pay- ment is attached to the registration
- LEAD makes use of reputable venues. The venues for these events will be determined by the number of registrations. Please wait for the confirmation before you make flight and accommodation
- Registrations close 48 hours prior to the seminar dates. No registrations will be accepted thereafter without written approval from
- LEAD reserves the right to cancel a learning activity should the number of delegates not justify the costs involved. Registered delegates will be given reasonable notice of cancellation.
- To cancel a seminar registration, the delegate should e-mail Annelie@LSSALEAD.org.za at least 48 hours before the seminar starts to avoid being liable for the full