When and where
Midrand: 11 April
Time: 08:30 – 16:00
Venue: To be advised after registration
Fees (VAT inclusive)
- Staff from a practising legal practitioner’s firm: R1 775
- Non-practising legal practitioners/others: R 2270
About this course
An intensive short course on how to draft effective heads of argument.
Who should attend?
- Corporate and Government legal advisors.
- Legal practitioners
- Persons who need to sharpen their drafting skills.
Benefits of attending
- You will learn drafting technique to enable you to write heads that are persuasive.
- Understand what is required in our courts.
- Learn how to draft heads of argument that are short, sharp and to the point.
- Know what Judges expect and comply with practice directives.
- Learn how to carry out research effectively and efficiently.
Ismail Hussain SC is a former Judge of the High Court and Competition Appeal Court. He has been a highly popular LEAD trainer for many years. Mr Hussain SC is an expert in commercial drafting, opinion writing, and litigation and case management. He is also a published author.
- The course will cover the following:
- Plain language writing – effective legal writing
- Rules and directives pertaining to heads of argument (including requirements in the SCA and CC)
- Requirements in the opposed motion court and trials
- The benefits of writing heads
- What is meant by argument and how to draft it
- Effective research methods
- Drafting heads for appeals
- The method and desired layout
- Carrying out fact analyses and application of law
- How to apply and demonstrate a process of reasoning.
- How to proceed from rough draft to final document – the technique is explained
The form takes a couple of seconds to download. Email the completed form with proof of payment to Bettie@LSSALEAD.org.za
EFT payment to accompany your registration.
LSSA BANKING DETAILS:
Law Society of South Africa
Acc no: 6200 9641 079
Bank: FNB Pretoria
Branch Code: 251445
Ref: WDL, Your name, surname and cell number
For more information
For more information about this course, contact Bettie Lubbe at Bettie@LSSALEAD.org.za on tel: +27 (0)12 441 4670.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE
- Course registration will be confirmed only if proof of payment is attached to the form.
- Fees must be paid into the designated Law Society of South Africa (LSSA) bank account. The LSSA will not accept liability if any other bank account is used. i.e Law Society of Northern Provinces
- LEAD reserves the right to cancel a learning activity should the number of delegates not justify the costs involved. Registered delegates will be given reasonable notice of cancellation.
- Registrations close 5 working days prior to the course date.