The purpose of this qualification is to provide an opportunity for learners who wish to enter the legal profession as paralegals. As a paralegal, a graduate will enjoy a career where they will refer, advise, communicate and liaise with clients on legal matters in a paralegal context.
The course is focused on providing the following skills:
- Apply fundamental legal concepts, principles, theories and values within the paralegal sector.
- Demonstrate an understanding of South African law and the legal system with specific emphasis on paralegal services.
- Demonstrate insight into democracy as a form of governance and its implications for a diverse society.
- Demonstrate an understanding of procedure in courts and other fora.
- Apply the principles of ethics and professionalism to a business environment.
- Monitor, reflect and improve on own performance.
- Guide and refer clients in terms of legal enquiries.
- Improve service to customers.
- Plan, organise and control the day-to-day administration of an office support function.
- Negotiate an agreement or deal in an authentic work situation.
- Use technology effectively in the practice of law.
- Gather and manage information for decision-making.
- Plan and conduct research project.
- Perform financial planning and control functions for a small business.
- Create, maintain and update record keeping systems.
- Authorising a person to act in deceased estate.
- Apply workplace communication skills.
A qualified paralegal will be able to:
- Execute administrative functions within the legal profession as a paralegal.
- Conduct basic research on a legal matter including applicable law, application of thelaw, precedents, cases, and related matters.
- Facilitate and participate in dispute resolution matters in a paralegal context.
- Take instructions, analyse supporting documents and write within the paralegal context.
- The minimum entry requirement is the National Senior Certificate or National Certificate Vocational with appropriate subject combinations and levels of achievement; or
- An equivalent NQF level 4 qualification with proven proficiency in English.
- To be considered via Recognition of Prior Learning(RPL), applicants should be above the age of 23 years.
Determination of learning
This course will be presented as blended learning, which requires attendance and online learning using Microsoft Teams. The programme presenters will facilitate the course.
This Paralegal Certificate Programme includes the theoretical knowledge and practical aspects pertaining to legal matters. The assessment will include portfolio of evidence for the practical work to be conducted at the workplace, such as law firms, advocates chambers, public institutions, courts, tribunals, Non-Governmental Organisations, etc and final written assessments including formative and summative assessments.
NQF level of the module: 5
SAQA Unit Standard ID: 97228
The Paralegal certificate is a SASSETA accredited qualification assessed by Law Society of South Africa and its partner training providers.
The certificates will be issued by SASSETA. The SASSETA certificates with the provision that the participant has satisfactorily complied with the completion Portfolio of Evidence and that assessment outcomes are found competent.
The training material is provided to students in English.
The programme will be presented by experienced legal practitioners who are registered assessors with the Safety and Security Seta (SASSETA).