|Responsibility of Company Directors (Online Course)|
30 and 31 October 2023 | 13:00 – 16:00
|The programme is relevant to private Companies and public Companies|
About this online course
In this course the legislative framework of ss 66 to 78 of the Companies Act 71 of 2008 will be discussed; including amendments to the sections, liability, duties and obligations of directors. NEW to this course will be an explanation of eDiscovery and how companies can be ‘litigation ready’ and effectively participate in case management.
The programme will include:
- A discussion of recent decisions
- Legal status of a director; including different types of directors
- Appointment of directors
- Removal of directors
- Conduct of directors, including codes of conduct and King IV
- Liability of directors, including the duty to report fraud and relationship with company’s auditors;
- Liability of directors, including insider trading; share price manipulation; reckless trading and anti-trust conduct
- The duties and obligations of directors within a Board and relationship with the Board, including powers of the Board
- Directors’ right to remuneration, including contracts and benefits as well as disclosure requirements. A discussion of performance-based contracts.
- Duties of directors regarding: Cyber security and response to malware and ransomware
- Social responsibility including climate change
- A brief discussion on data security and eDiscovery, being litigation ready.
Ismail Hussain SC is a former Judge of the High Court and Competition Appeal Court. He has been a highly popular LEAD trainer for many years. Mr Hussain SC is an expert in commercial drafting, company law, opinion writing, litigation and case management. He is also a published author with four titles. He is a professor of law at Nelson Mandela University.
What other participants said
- I serve as director of 3 companies – the Case Law specifically was extremely valuable.
- Adv Hussain simplified everything over the two sessions.
- I really enjoyed the good quality training and Adv Hussain is a fantastic presenter.
- The presenter is very knowledgeable and gave lots of additional information.
- I learned a great deal and enjoyed the presentation.
- Very well done, understandable and insightful. Would definitely recommend it to others in the same field.
- Good insight on corporate governance.
- I am a conveyancer and found this training most interesting. It has encouraged me to do my own further research on companies.
30 – 31 October 2023 : 13:00 – 16:00
Closing date for registrations: 27 October 2023
Kindly note that this course might run over the scheduled time. Please do not arrange any other appointments for at least 30 minutes after the scheduled closing time.
All sessions are mandatory to qualify for a certificate.
|Who should register?|
The program is relevant to Private Companies and Public Companies, Directors of Companies, Company Secretaries and Corporate legal practitioners .
Registration fee categories (including VAT):
- Practising legal practitioners and other staff from legal firms: R 1 420 per person.
- Non-practising legal practitioners/others: R 2 190 per person.
|How to register|
Kindly note that you can only register online and that there are limited places available. Participants should be registered individually to enable the system to generate a unique username and password for each person.
Payment should be made by electronic funds transfer (EFT) only. Remember to upload the proof of payment (PDF) in step 2 (Online registration form)LSSA banking details: Account name: Law Society of South Africa | Bank: FNB Pretoria | Branch code: 251445 | Account no: 6200 9641 079 | Reference DR: Initials, Surname and Cell number
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Once you have registered to participate, you will receive a system-generated confirmation e-mail that we have received your registration documentation. Twenty-four hours before the course starts, you will receive an e-mail with the link to the course (Microsoft Teams) as well as your course material . Read the instructions in the e-mail carefully. If you do not receive this said email, please check your Spam / Junk folder, or kindly contact Bettie Lubbe on Bettie@LSSALEAD.org.za or Tel No (012) 441 4670, the day before the course start. Attendees must ensure that they have access to MS Teams well in advance. Kindly test your link as soon as you get it.
|For more information about this course contact Bettie Lubbe:|
Email: Bettie@LSSALEAD.org.za or contact Bettie on 012 441 4670
|Please take note|
- The LSSA will not accept liability if the fees are not paid into the designated LSSA bank account.
- The course is conducted in English only.
- The course will be delivered through MS TEAMS. Please ensure that you have MS TEAMS installed on your computer prior to the commencement of the course.
- You will receive the material as well as the link to the course via email, +-24 hours before commencement of the course. If you do not receive the said email, look in your junk mail folder. If it is not there, contact Bettie Lubbe on bettie@LSSALEAD.org.za.
- No cancellations will be accepted after the course material and link have been shared. Participants who do not cancel timeously and/or fail to attend the course will forfeit the amount paid towards this course.
- Should you need to cancel your registration, you need to do so in writing before the course link and material are shared. No cancelation will be accepted after it has been made available and failure to comply with this will result in the full fee being charged.
- LEAD might record the course for QA purposes. According to Company policy and copyright protection, recordings or the PowerPoint presentation will not be made available after the course.
- LSSA/LEAD shall have the right in its sole discretion to postpone or cancel tuition in any programme initially advertised and offered based on insufficient demand. Should LSSA/LEAD cancel the proposed training, registered delegates will be given reasonable notice of the cancellation and all fees paid by the delegate will be refunded.